What is a good/fair token distribution?

Hi, I’d like to ask good people here to share their two cents about what makes a good/fair token distribution for a certain project. We have seen the likes of POW coins that reward people who provide security to the network, to more recent tokens like YFII (no premine, no developer cut), SUSHI (reward for providing liquidity), UNI (retroactive airdrop). Since there is a currently ongoing RAD distribution I’d be curious to hear what the community thinks about it. Thanks :slight_smile:

10 Likes

I think that there should be an airdrop so SEC cant punish anyone for selling ICO or similar. I think its fair that users who contribute to the network gets tokens. Maybe a part of the airdrop could be also be random on social platforms, like twitter or reddit or telegram and so on,… The other way could also be through the nodes by increasing the rewards for first mouth.

8 Likes

I would even say, locked airdrop, so that you get users who are more interested in the project, and I think that speculators would avoid said tokens with locked airdrop since they have to deposit funds.
Edgeware and Plasm had some versions of locked airdrop.

4 Likes

Interesting idea :slight_smile: Does that mean that an airdrop includes vesting period before tokens can be moved? There was quite some volatility with $UNI after its debut.

5 Likes

May I ask how RAD distribution through social media would work? Would there be something like a faucet url that gives out tokens to first N-users who click on it?

5 Likes

Yes it does. For example, you could lock your ETH for 30,100,300,1000 days (different locking duration gives different bonus rates) and you recieve Plasm in return. After the lock duration is over you get your ETH back as well.
You could call this method pay it with opportunity cost.

7 Likes

Well but if you lock it then you will have no new ppl comeing in to youin the community?

3 Likes

I am not sure I quite understand. What do you mean by [quote=“DamjanKM, post:9, topic:1258”]
then you will have no new ppl comeing in to youin the community?
[/quote]
Everybody can participate but you need to lock your funds for a certain period of time to recieve tokens from airdrop.

2 Likes

Yes but instead of locking and doing 1 big airdrop is better to make like 5 airdrops and have certain amount of tokens for each airdrop.

3 Likes

Well it all depends on the teams and how much money they need for further development, work, etc or are they trying to do a fairer distribution of tokens.
Again Plasm had 2 locked airdrops which are over now but in the future they are planning one more.

3 Likes

I mean that generally is better to have more smaller ones than less and bigger. Because if you do it in 1 or 2 steps less new ppl are interesting in coming in the project it self. There is no more incentive or is not as big. I think Plasma did good but i would have it even more then 2/3.

2 Likes

That sounds like a great idea (rewarding users who put more faith in the project, like early BTC miners) if the team already has needed funds for development. Thanks for sharing your thoughts :heart:

2 Likes

Very interesting. That would keep community interested and anticipating the next announcement :slight_smile: . Would the same wallet be able to participate in multiple airdrops? What are your thoughts about airdrop farmers (I’ve heard there was a guy who tried to farm 1inch from many accounts but got screwed since they required minimum 20$ traded or something like that).

1 Like

I am very much on board with the idea of rewarding loyalty and demanding proof of loyalty paid in opportunity costs however we have to consider the reward dynamics of the incentives you are creating.
In the model you are describing you are boosting the ETH value by locking it up, but how exactly does that help the Centrifuge community?
Now if instead of merely locking your ETH, you staked it [what I mean by this, is that you don’t simply throw away the opportunity costs of your ETH but you contribute it back to the Centrifuge community by allowing the interest acquired from the Locked ETH to go into a pooled fund for development.
This way all the value goes to the community intended and rewards believers in the project.

5 Likes